The African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC) is a continental development program that promotes youth volunteerism in Africa. The program aims to deepen the status of young people as key actors in Africa’s development targets and goals, enhancing their participation in policy development as well as design and implementation of relevant interventions towards the Africa Union’s Agenda 2063, ‘The Africa We Want’.
Young professionals are recruited to serve for a period of 12 months as AU volunteers in an AU Member State other than their own. The next intake of volunteers for deployment in 2019/20 will be from the 01 – 30 June 2019.
Applicants have to meet the following criteria:
- Citizen of an AU Member State living on the continent or in the Diaspora;
- Aged between 18 – 35 years;
- Have a post-secondary certified qualification(s) (TVET, Bachelor’s, Master’s etc.)
- Available in 2018/19 to dedicate 12 (twelve) months for volunteer work;
- Willing to live and work in another AU Member State;
- Is proficient in at least one AU working language (Arabic, English, French, Portugese);
Has at least one year verifiable volunteering experience and one year professional work experience.
To submit your application:
- Create an account on the AU Careers portal
- Fill out your personal information and the application form
- Attach the following documents:
-Your updated professional CV (no longer than 3 pages)
-Bio page of your passport (or national ID)
-Copy of your highest completed qualification (no transcripts)
-Attach a letter of recommendation (not older than two years) attesting your leadership qualities
- Attach your cover letter. In your cover letter please respond to the following questions:
-Why do you want to become an African Union Youth Volunteer?
-What makes you the best candidate for AU-YVC?
-What skills are you bringing to the AU-YVC and your host organization?
- Review and submit your application before: Sunday, 30 June 2019 midnight (Addis Abeba time)
- Incomplete and late applications will not be notified;
- Providing incomplete or inaccurate information is ground for immediate termination
- 8 July – Eligibility check;
- 31 July – successful applicants will be notified;
- August and October: Pre-deployment orientation training;
- 2019/20: Deployment of trained volunteers.
The African Union Commission and partners will cover the full costs of pre-deployment training volunteer deployment for successful candidates. An African Union Volunteer will receive the following benefits and opportunities:
- Unique opportunity to interact with African Union processes and structure
- Economic return air ticket from home town to place deployment
- A modest monthly stipend
- Health insurance cover
- AU Service passport
- Separation allowance on successful completion of twelve months service
- Training and mentorship opportunities
Source: African Union Youth Program